Monday, November 2, 2009

Rehearsal Week 1: Do the Beaverdance!

Hello Beaverdance! Fans, my name is Jen and I am Intern Beaver here at Bedlam. I will documenting this crazy, awesome, unique Beaverdance! process. As we head in to another week of the wonderful Beaverdance!, let's recap last week.


First off, I just want to let it be known that the Beaverdance! choreography is stunningly epic. And by epic, I mean hysterically funny. I have the Beaverdance! opening number playing over and over in my head, a hazard of working on a musical. A few years ago, I worked on a production of the Music Man, I had 76 trombones playing over and over, tormenting me.

Shake your beaver tail
Drop your beaver pants
Show your beaver fur
And do the beaverdance.

Hilarious lyrics+infectious melody= impossible to forget.

The rehearsal process as it stands is rather unique, Foxy wants actors to find their own motivation, find their own characters, overall, it is extremely collaborative. The production is ever-changing, ever-evolving and is only getting better. There are active and exciting conversations about drafts.

Since I love quotes that are out of context, here are some of my favorite from our first week of rehearsal:

"Its a good day for Beaver frolicking"

"Be like... Pavaratti Beaver"

"Faster. Funnier. Sexier."
Foxy Tan's most used directing words.
"Faster. Funnier. Louder."
Shakespeare's most used directing words... Scary.

"You've just experience birth... You've just experienced birth multiple times!!"

"Yes, I'm reinventing oompa loompas."

Also, I learned a new vocabulary word this week: "Merkin" ("Google Images" this one folks)

Finally, to cap off rehearsal week one, we found out that the character Jacques is actually based on a Bert Reynolds.





What a manly bear of a man.

1 comment:

  1. Foxy has exquisite taste, and steals only from the best. For it was George Abbott, play doctor and master of comedy and musical comedy direction from about 1925-1990, who reportedly said only the following:
    Rehearsal Week 1: "Louder!"
    Rehearsal Week 2: "Faster!"
    Rehearsal Week 3: "Funnier!"
    Rehearsal Week 4: "Louder! Faster! Funnier!"

    ReplyDelete